Red Square Bomb Helper Gets Ten Years

RIA Novosti
18:05 29/05/2012

The Moscow City Court sentenced Timur Akubekov to ten years in prison on Tuesday after finding him guilty of assisting failed suicide bombers who had planned a terrorist attack in downtown Moscow in late 2010, the court told the RAPSI/ legal news agency.

“Akubekov, born in 1979, is sentenced to ten years in a high-security prison. Additionally, he will have to be under supervised release for two years once he serves his term,” according to the verdict.

The trial was heard in a special regime, in which no evidence was examined and no witnesses questioned, because Akubekov had signed a pretrial cooperation agreement with investigators.

Gang leader Ibragimkhalil Daudov set up a gang in the Russian North Caucasus republic of Dagestan in October 2010, to plot a series of terrorist attacks in the Russian capital and Dagestan, including an explosion on downtown Moscow’s Red Square on December 31, 2010, according to investigators.

Akubekov was instructed to ensure that female suicide bombers Zeinap Suyunova and Daudov’s wife Zavzhat Daudova be brought to Red Square, show them where to blow themselves up and control the attack, Russian Investigative Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin said.

Akubekov was then supposed to inform another gang member, Shamil Paizulayev, of the completion of the attacks.

“Suyunova was to have detonated a homemade explosive device on her body near people celebrating New Year on Red Square. Daudova was to have waited for law enforcers to arrive and blown herself up near them,” Markin said.

Daudova died when she was trying to fasten an explosive device on body when the two women were in a hotel.

“Suyunova failed to perpetrate the terrorist attack as well. She lost the switch from her homemade explosive device, which made it impossible to blow the device up,” Markin said earlier in May.

“Having also lost her mobile phone and without knowing where Red Square was in Moscow, she failed to communicate with the gang members to receive specific instructions from gang leader Daudov. She decided to escape and took a bus to the town of Kizlyar in [the Russian North Caucasus republic of] Dagestan,” he said.

Suyunova was brought to Moscow on January 2, 2011, after a check of her documents in the city of Volgograd on her way to Dagestan. She was found guilty of banditry, an attempt to perpetrate a terrorist act, and illegal manufacture and possession of explosive devices committed as part of an organized group.

Akubekov was detained in the Dagestani regional capital of Makhachkala on January 28, 2011.

A court earlier in May sentenced Suyunova to ten years in a medium-security prison.

Kommersant business daily reported in April that Suyunova became involved in terrorism against her will.

According to the paper, Suyunova said she made friends with a group of Wahhabis while studying pharmacology in Russia’s southern Stavropol Region, left home and married a man who turned out to be a militant.

After her husband was arrested for organizing terrorist attacks, Suyunova was taken to the North Caucasus republic of Dagestan where she was told that her spouse had died and she had to take revenge for him by blowing herself up in Moscow.


Leave a comment

No comments yet.

Comments RSS TrackBack Identifier URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s